St Albans' Own East End

Streets

 

Ashbourne Court

Bryn Way

Cape Avenue  (not Cape Road)

Charlotte Close

Church Croft

College Road

Craiglands

Cranbrook Drive

Crosby Close

Downes Road

Eaton Road

Elizabeth Court

Faircross Way

Gainsborough Avenue

Gleave Close

Glenferrie Road

Gurney Court Road

Howard Close

Kensington Close

Luna Place

Merryfields

Pickford Road

Sandfield Road

Sefton Close

Shirley Road

Wellington Road


In addition, Guildford Road and Puddingstone Drive were regrettably omitted.  They will be added to the next reprint.

Cavendish Road:  William Cavendish (6th Duke of Devonshire), one-time President of the (Royal) Horticultural Society, developed one of the country's finest orchid collections.

Hixberry Lane:  Two friends from Tyttenhanger Green recall making their way to Hatfield Road, via Hixberry Lane and across the old Hill End Brickworks site towards what is now known as Longacres.  The two friends remember calling Hixberry Lane 'The Ashpath'.  Possibly ash from the brickworks was laid along parts of the lane to make it useable.  Of course, there was another nearby 'Ashpath' or 'Cinder Track', now Ashley Road.  That official naming is not from ash spread on the ground but another Beaumonts road named after a tree.

There are over three hundred streets in St Albans' east end, from major trunk routes to country lanes, closes and avenues.


All are named in Volume 2, and, for most of them, an explanation is given about the origins, or probably origins, of their names.


Just a few have not.  If you have some information to add. please email us with your comments and suggestions, which will be added to this page.

Wormleighton Road:  You won't find this name on a street plate today – for most of its life it has been known as Gainsborough Avenue.  But it appears as Wormleighton Road on the 1924 OS map before any homes were constructed there.  Wormleighton was the substantial estate in Warwickshire owned by the Spencer family before the Civil War.  Much of it the manor building was destroyed by fire, and the Spencer family acquired and developed the Althorp estate instead.  The road is built on land once owned by the Spencer family.

Gresford Close:  A house was demolished at the Hatfield Road end of Colney Heath Lane to give access to a small estate of homes, completed in 1973.  The road is named after E Michael Gresford Jones, Bishop of St Albans between 1950 and 1970.         [correction to the definition given at the end of Volume 2].

Haig Close, Wingate Way, Gordon Close, Kitchener Close:  A group of roads off Cell Barnes Lane, built c1976 partly on land formerly allotments, a playing field and the circus field.  Twenty-five houses built c1928, part of the Springfield estate, were demolished in 1975 to allow for the new development.  They were numbers 53 to 97.    [additional to the information given at the end of Volume 2].


Chandlers Road:  Update.  The book notes a former field called Chandler's Grove Field.  The Chandler family held land to the north-east of St Albans, finally selling their interest in land near Sandrdge in the 1970s.  The road, between Hazelmere Road and The Ridgeway, recognises this farming family.

WelcomeWelcome.html
AboutAboutTheBook.html
MoreFindOutMore.html
Info neededInfoNeeded.html
PhotosPhotosNeeded.html
Pic libraryPicture_librarya.html
ArchiveNews_Archive_1.html
MemoriesAdd_memories.html
Bloghttp://www.stalbansowneastend.blogspot.com
100 objectsOHO1.html
TopicsTopic_selector.html
EmailEmailAuthor.html
LinksLinks.html
DiariesFleetvilleDiaries.html

Road names with so-far- unexplained origins:

St Albans' Own East End