St Albans' Own East End

Fleetville streets

 

Castle Road:  First laid out c1900 by either Thomas Tomlinson or Horace Slade on a field known as Rats' Castle Field.  The name Rats' Castle was  the nickname given to an abandoned turnpike toll house on the site of the present public house.  Rats had infested the building and were discovered nesting in the thatched roof.

WelcomeWelcome.html
AboutAboutTheBook.html
MoreFindOutMore.html
Info neededInfoNeeded.html
PhotosPhotosNeeded.html
Pic libraryPicture_librarya.html
ArchiveNews_Archive_1.html
MemoriesAdd_memories.html
Bloghttp://www.stalbansowneastend.blogspot.com
100 objectsOHO1.html
TopicsTopic_selector.html
EmailEmailAuthor.html
LinksLinks.html
DiariesFleetvilleDiaries.html

St Albans' Own East End

Arthur Road:  This was one of the three roads of Thomas Smith's Fleet Ville, the employee development for the factory on which Morrison's supermarket is not built. Arthur Hall was one of the managers of Smith's Printing Agency.

Tess Road:  Another of the employee roads, it was renamed Woodstock Road south in 1948.  The owner of the printing works was Thomas E Smith, so ths road was named T E S (Tess) in recognition.

Royal Road  Although there was space for a larger part of the development, it never came about and Royal Road became the most westerly road, mamed in recognition of the Accession of Edward VII in 1901.

Princes Road:  This, and Tess Road were renamed in 1948 and together became Woodstock Road south.  The princes in question were either Albert, Alfred, Arthur and Leopald, sons of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert; or the sons of Edward VII and Alexandra: Albert, George V and John.  This was a development by Thomas Tomlinson and Henry Hansell.

Sutton Road:  The Camp Estate was developed by the partnership of Arthur Ekins and Francis Giffen.  Mr Ekins was born and brought up in the small village of Sutton in Cambridgeshire.  The former farm track was therefore named after the place of his birth.

Cambridge Road:  Giffen and Ekins had the naming rights of the roads on the estate they developed.  Arthur Ekins was born in Cambridgeshire.  Between them, therefore, there is a link between Sutton and Cambridge roads.

College Road:  The link with the County of Cambridgeshire is reinforced by a dedication to the city of Cambridge and its many colleges.

Ely Road:  Giffen and Ekins named a further road on their estate after another Cambridgeshire city with a strong historic and ecclesiastical link with St Albans.

Royston Road:  Francis Giffen was born at Therfield, near Royston, on the border between Hertfordshire and Cambridgeshire.


The search continues for the proven origin of the names for Beresford and Wellington roads.